[DeTomaso] DeTomaso up for sale

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jun 11 12:53:32 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/11/08 9 36 51, apollo73 at yahoo.com writes:

> According to this article, DeTomaso is up for auction in two lots.  One lot
> being the company name, model names,
> and logo for a starting price of 1.78 million Euro.  The 2nd lot will be for
> the factory grounds and offices for 7.63
> million Euro.  I'm surprised those starting prices aren't flipped between
> the two lots, as I view the name and logos
> as much more valuable than the "factory" grounds.
>
>>>You're probably alone in that regard then.   The factory grounds are
simple industrial property, which has a well-established value and can be used for
any sort of manufacturing operation.   It has 'real' value.

The De Tomaso logo and name would only have value to a very small
(microscopic) element of society; even within automotive circles, the marque name isn't
particularly respected, thanks in no small part to the Machiavellian actions of
De Tomaso over the years.

Given that the company hasn't produced anything of any real significance for
more than 20 years, it's virtually a 'dead' marque.

>  I just hope it really does change hands, and produce
> something worthwhile.

there might not be any bidders at all for the intellectual property, or if it
does sell, it will sell for a fraction of the hoped-for price.   We'll just
have to wait and see.

What disturbs me is the fact that all the history in the company files could
wind up in the landfill.   There is a LOT of information secured behind those
walls; I wish a benevolent entity would make it available to the public?