[DeTomaso] Ignition Switch

Scott Carpenter scscottc at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 18:22:58 EDT 2008

Well it DID wind up being the switch.. However before we took it all apart
we had already checked the junction box.

Long story short... One of the two little plastic pins in the switch had
bent over and was not allowing whatever connection it needs to make to be
made. I am not sure if the spring was broken or if the little plastic pin
just got bent...  The end result means that the wire that drives the gauges
and whatever else was needed for the car to actually start was getting no
juice.  Before we took it apart we ran a wire with a 30AMP fuse from the
other wire that did have juice over to where this one needed to be and the
gauges came to life and the car actually was able to start and run.. So I
was able to at least put it back up on the lift...

It was at that point that we decided to dive into the switch... While my
switch is different than the one in the write-up on the Pantera Place that
write-up was still very helpful...

At this point I am going to try chasing down a replacement though my wife's
uncle, who was helping me, did take the switch with him. He thinks he can
either fix it himself or he can get a friend that does electronic work to
fix it...

Thanks for all the input from everyone.. I just wanted to post on here to
let everyone know that in this instance it did end up being a bad/broken
switch... :-(

Scott
'71 Pantera #1523