[DeTomaso] A-arm bushings, camber lock kits, spring spacers

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sun Jun 8 01:01:25 EDT 2008

Well, that was a chore.

Using various methods mentioned and documented by owners, I managed to
remove the a-arm bushing by hack-sawing the ends of the bushings, then
drilling the rubber with an air drill and driving the centers out, then
carefully hack-sawing the outer bushing shell (to relieve the pressure)
and driving them out with a socket and air-hammer.  Mostly it was time
consuming and wore out my hack-saw arm.  :)

All bushings actually came out pretty well for being 30+ years old.
After pressing in the new bushings, I set to the task of installing a
Pantera Performance Center camber-lock kit I won during the raffle at a
Fun Rally many years ago.  Lined them all up, drilled some holes,
installed the kits and now it should be easier to adjust camber on the
front end.

Last job, since I had them out, was to remove the spring spacers from
the coil-over shocks.  I own a 1973 L which already has a factory
bump-steer kit, but also comes with half-inch spacers installed on the
springs.  Well I could only find one spring compressing clamp and I kind
of needed two (one on each side of the spring).  So I found a small
ratcheting tie-down strap, wrapped a few coils, ratcheted it compressed
and viola, got the springs off, removed the spacers and put the springs
back on.

Overall, having all the parts off the car, it took me about eight hours
for all the above.  Had I been a bit more organized and simply headed
right into it, I probably could have had it done in six, but I hemmed
and hawed a bit on the bushings until I resigned myself to the process I
used, which I will say was actually pretty easy.

While I was at it, I wire-wheeled all the bolts so they now look purdy,
well purdy clean at least.  Now All I have to do is reassemble
everything, figure that should take about two hours overall, then I'll
need to get it aligned.  <sigh>

Time to look up the alignment specs and take to my favorite shop.

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired

& Shelley Marie
Spokane, WA