[DeTomaso] Radar Detector Survey

Dave McManus dave at damardirect.com
Thu Jun 5 10:17:54 EDT 2008

What do you have?
VALENTINE (2)

How long have you had it (i.e., how old is it)?
11 YEARS  &   4 YEARS

Why did you pick the one you did?
I read everything I could get my hands on regarding detectors and jammers.
Car & Driver did an extensive study on detectors each year for many years.
Valentine blew everyone away. A separate study, not C&D, showed another
brand, Bel I think, I read they have a tie in with the mfg & would not test
against the VALENTINE or not fully compare.

Mike Valentine was one of the two founders of Cincinnati Microwave, parent
to the original ESCORT detector. Mike could not hold the business together
(long story) & left to start VALENTINE. In the beginning the wait list was
as long as 4-6 months. From the beginning they were the best. Customer
service at VALENTINE is great, the customer is very important to them. They
only sell direct, not stores.

Once you use the "arrows" you will never look at another detector the same.
The "arrows" saved me several times when two radar cars were about 1/2 mile
apart. Without the "arrows" I would have thought the 2nd radar notification
was just the remnants of the first. The tone alert changes as well.

Do yourself a favor, buy the best the first time, and buy VALENTINE!

Which did you research before you bought?
See above
What do / don't you like about them?
See above

Indy Dave

I need to pick up a new radar detector.  I used to have an Escort, but have
heard the Valentines are good as well.

How about an informal Pantera forum survey on radar detectors:

What do you have?
How long have you had it (i.e., how old is it)?
Why did you pick the one you did?
Which did you research before you bought?
What do / don't you like about them?

Thanks
Mike Thomas
Panteras Northwest