[DeTomaso] New Upholstery

J. Sean Keane spleen at spamcop.net
Wed Jun 4 00:52:13 EDT 2008

I should have mentioned in my previous post that the upholstery kit from
Hall Pantera didn't include the head rests.  Fortunately, mine were in
almost perfect shape, unlike the rest of the seat.  If your headrest is
shot, I'm not sure what to suggest.  I don't see anything about them on
Hall's parts list.

After receiving several direct emails, I realize that I should have also
mentioned that a hog ring pliers and upholstery rings are needed.  The
Pantera seats have a unique (in my experience, anyway) design where
little triangles of metal in the seat bottom are used to pierce and hold
the upholstery.  However, it's my opinion that you still need a few
rings, although not as many as other car seats I've reupholstered.

I'd say that something like 80% of the result of reupholstering car
seats comes from the quality of the upholstery you buy, i.e. how well
does it fit the seat it's made for.  As I said before, the Hall seats
are excellent.  The other 20% comes from taking your time and carefully
sliding the seat all of the way into the upholstery before you start
attaching it.  Anyone can do a good job if they're careful.  I would
recommend having someone to help, though, as it's useful to have one
person stretching the upholstery while the other applies the rings.

Regards,

J. Sean Keane