[DeTomaso] Steering rack bushing and oil

cengles at cox.net cengles at cox.net
Tue Jun 3 09:53:26 EDT 2008

Dear Asa,

I wonder if Mike Drew is recommending using the heavy weight gear oil or switching to the special (?) grease instead. I recollect that Rick Moseley discovered that the steering rack in a Ferrari 308 or 323 was the same as the Pantera and that Ferrari packed their racks in grease rather than oil. I switched mine over to grease about five years ago and I have had no problems and no gear oil leaks from the rack or the boots. (Duh: there is no oil to leak out anymore!!)

Curious, Chuck Engles