[DeTomaso] Tires

Dickruzzindesign at aol.com Dickruzzindesign at aol.com
Mon Jun 2 13:31:46 EDT 2008

Why?
I would like either a 225 in the front, slightly smaller than the 235s I
have, or a 285 in the rear, slightly larger than my 275s.
The reason is the size differential between the front and the rear.

Right now they are too close in size, if you think Grand Prix car, which
DeTomaso tried to emulate with the concept of the vehicle.

I would like the rears to clearly look like larger tires than the fronts.
A 285 would also fill the wheel well more fully.

The studio drawing of the Mangusta dated 8-5-67 and signed by Giugiaro shows
Dunlop 185s in the front and 225s in the rear. They fill the wheel wells
perfectly in side view but the front, rear and plan view show a large offset
between the sheet metal and the tire both front and rear.

Comparing the different views of the tires, my judgment, looks like the tires
are fairly flat 70 series.

I think this drawing was made after the first running prototype was built,
the one seen at Monte Carlo that Princess Grace rode in. It also had a glass
panel in the roof.

The tires on that car look huge, the tread would indicate truck tires.

I think that if you could compare the Monte Carlo Mangusta with the
production version you would be quite surprised with the differences.

Any way, just dreaming I would like a 285X60, a tire with about a 29 inch
diameter.

All the best,
Dick Ruzzin,______________________DickruzzinDESIGN at aol.com
920 Whittier Rd.
Grosse Pointe Park, MI 48230
Home: +313-824-0539, Cell: +313-300-9558