[DeTomaso] ZF Limits

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Jul 31 22:50:29 EDT 2008

In a message dated 7/31/08 9:35:00 AM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> I talked to Lloyd at the swap meet and he said that higher ratio ring and
> pinion gears have bigger pinion gears and are stronger (at least the 3.20s),
> so I guess not all ZFs are equal.

True- the post-'80 ZF (also known as the M-1 ZF and which may have come from
the so-called racing ZF of the '70s) uses larger shafts, bigger gears and a
reinforced diff case with different gear ratios. None of the guts interchange
with early assemblies without a lot of work, due to larger bearing sizes etc,
but   the M-1 unit bolts right up to a stock bellhousing. It also came stock
with CV joints. Lloyd would know the details if asked. Cheers- J Deryke