[DeTomaso] more fuel system questions

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Jul 31 22:13:31 EDT 2008

In a message dated 7/30/08 9:22:20 PM, wkooiman at earthlink.net writes:

> I have never understood the safety reason for putting the filter before the
> pump......

In the other configuration, the filter housing is filled with gas at carb
pressure from the pump, and some filters hold a considerable volume. If a line or
fitting between the pump and carb loosens or cracks, you'll have gas at 6-7
psi spraying out, and shutting off the engine and electricity does not stop it.
The only thing that stops such a leak is when the pressure in the system
finally drops. With the filter before the pump, the volume of gas in the container
is at atmospheric pressure and will not spray out, only drip. So sanctioning
bodies decided to limit the amount of pressurized fuel in the engine area to
that in the feed line and the carb float bowl(s). I ran both configurations
without incident, but now I use a filter only in the tank-to-pump line, once I
understood the possibilities and Judy began driving the car more often. Hope
this clears that one up- J Deryke.