[DeTomaso] Wanted, 71 or 72, Which To Buy?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Jul 31 21:59:40 EDT 2008

.... and finally, the dash-1 transaxle CASE is 4 lbs lighter than the dash-2
case. The box is physically smaller and is missing the two internal allen
bolts supporting the box to the belllhousing. The circular part that bolts to the
bellhousing is smaller in diameter and only fits the sand-cast early
bellhousing that has two vent holes. The clutch release cross-shaft is smaller and
shorter and the iron throwout fork itself is smaller. So unless you have the
entire assembly, its difficult to mix and match ZF types.

FWIW, the early aluminum side plates will crack the ear extensions if they
are bolted to the early bellhousing pads and the side-bolts loosen up. In our
assembly, I don't install the side bolts. The real failure mode for the alloy
sideplates was, under high horsepower and long events such as Sebring or LeMans,
the aluminum expanded with high heat , slacking off the differential bearing
pre-loads and failing the bearings. Factory racers often ran diff-coolers. Our
current power level is well below the factory racers, I don't plan to run
LeMans any time soon, and I have a temp probe in the ZF that only shows 180
degrees on 6-hr runs, so we'll see how long the OEM bearings last.... FWIW- J
DeRyke