[DeTomaso] ZF Limits

Mad Dog Antenucci teampantera at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 31 13:22:08 EDT 2008

Besides being stoopid? ;-]>
Reminds me of the time Gary Hall was bragging to John Parsons  a former professional Daytona Super Bike racer how his Hall Super Stoper Brake System was unbreakable. John had a Pantera at the time was reknowned for driving 'hard' around Willow in a constant 4 wheel drift around corners before it was popular and when he had to use brakes he used them hard on turn 1....after 3 or laps John came into the pits and said something was wrong with Gary's brakes! ;-]>

Speaking of good aggresive drivers, one of the best Pantera racers is Greg "ZF Killer" Esakoff broke gears so many times he moved to Montana. But again, he's a good, young (or used to be), aggressive driver with with 750+ HP and lots of dollar$ to spend...well before he bought the ranch in Montana! ;-]>

Short of being Junior, John Parsons, Bobby Byers or Greg getting airborne and coming down and twisting the input shaft is about the only way to damage a ZF.... as Mikey said they are bulletproof. I like the  fish tailing, burning rubber starts in track and open road races but I also don't slam gears, okay maybe clutches. Every time I up shift or down shift I always hear 'mo-money-mo-money'.... that keeps my granny-shifts and me happy.
Never a broken gear on the ZF (yet) in 20+ years of granny shifting.

Göran Malmberg <hemipanter at hemipanter.se> wrote: What did he do then to make it break?
Goran