[DeTomaso] Clutch linkage nirvana...:>)

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jul 30 17:45:32 EDT 2008

Hi guys

When I last left you, I had learned that the information Becky had provided
to me about my clutch linkage adjustment was exactly 180 degrees out from
correct. :<(

After hours of procrastination, around noon I wandered into the garage to set
things right.   Due to my extensive recent experience, it was extremely fast
and easy to tear everything out, flip the piece around, and put it all back in
again.   The whole process, including the odd misstep (dropped wrench, snap
ring arrowing off across the garage etc.) took barely an hour this time.

And I'm happy to report that my clutch now feels absolutely, totally perfect.
:>)

It's amazing how the 'knee' in this lever affects clutch pedal feel.
Flipping it around transformed the feel and function of the clutch with no other
adjustments.

Here is the updated photo log describing this ordeal:

http://members.aol.com/mikeldrew/ClutchLinkageFix.jpg

There is a bit of serendipity at work here.   For years now, I've known that
the fellow who screwed my car together hooked the brakes up backwards; that
is, he hooked the rear brake line to the rearmost chamber on the master
cylinder; that chamber is supposed to be feeding the front lines.   In the back of my
mind I've known that I should replumb the system properly, but overcoming
inertia has always been a big problem.

It would be nice if it could be accomplished simply by swapping and bending a
few lines here and there, but unfortunately the existing setup won't support
such a scheme.   Here's an old photo showing how my car was plumbed.   Note
that I didn't do any of this; it came to me like this:

http://members.aol.com/mikeldrew/BrakeBlock.jpg

It shouldn't be too difficult to re-plumb this properly.   I may replace one
or both of the 90-degree fittings with straight ones, for simplicity.

I still don't know why he put a loop in the copper clutch line, but it did
prove handy when I had the system in and out a half-dozen times, as it offered
up much flexibility.

I like Dave Bell's approach, of using short lengths of braided stainless
steel flex hose to facilitate easy removal of the various bits without having to
dismantle everything.   But that's a bridge too far, I think. :>)