[DeTomaso] more fuel system questions

clay willmott claywillmott at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 30 12:49:48 EDT 2008

"Pre-pump filters are safer and is the configuration required by SCCA
and most other sanctioning bodies for carbureted cars with modified
fuel systems (that is, ANYTHING changed including the original carb).
Rigged with a filter after the pump, you have a fully pressurized
container of fuel waiting to supply a fire, even with the engine
killed. We once had a Weber-equipped Porsche 914 with such a system
catch fire and be extinguished THREE TIMES in a minute or so during an
autocross, and the last two fires, the car was sitting still with no
driver, the disconnect switch had killed all electric power but fuel
was still spraying all over. Even if you don't compete with the car,
its still safer on the road with filters rigged between pump and tank.
Good luck- J Deryke"

<<Thanks for the response.  The fire issue is something I had not thought of.

Unfortunately I have already installed all new Earl's fittings with SS line.  I used 6 AN from the new fuel sender to the canister 5-10 micron Fram filter, 6 AN from the 1st filter to the Mr Gasket 80gph mechanical pump, 8 AN from the pump to the inline filter (10 micron) placed right by the distributor cap, then the Earl's double outlet fittings for the carb with inline fuel pressure gauge.
I took me some time and some $$ to to all this as I had to remove all my previous electrical pump and line and re-plumb it all in stainless with the mechanical filter.
I am curious if anyone else has had a fire with these inline filters pre-carburator?  Mine is relatively small and is not mounted but does not seem to move around any.
If I leave it as is should I get fuel line insulation to keep fuel temp lower and possibly prevent vapor lock or fire hazard?
Or just leave it alone ?

Thanks
Clay