[DeTomaso] more fuel system questions

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Jul 29 15:17:18 EDT 2008

In a message dated 7/28/08 4:48:06 PM, claywillmott at hotmail.com writes:

> My main question is if it works for now is it okay to leave the big
> canister filter 'pre' pump?  It seems from my reading a small 10 micron low
> restriction filter should be post pump.  No pre-pump filter is needed if you have the
> sock or screen on the sending unit?

Pre-pump filters are safer and is the configuration required by SCCA and most
other sanctioning bodies for carbureted cars with modified fuel systems (that
is, ANYTHING changed including the original carb). Rigged with a filter after
the pump, you have a fully pressurized container of fuel waiting to supply a
fire, even with the engine killed. We once had a Weber-equipped Porsche 914
with such a system catch fire and be extinguished THREE TIMES in a minute or so
during an autocross, and the last two fires, the car was sitting still with no
driver, the disconnect switch had killed all electric power but fuel was
still spraying all over. Even if you don't compete with the car, its still safer
on the road with filters rigged between pump and tank. Good luck- J Deryke