[DeTomaso] Axle measurements (Re: Axles and rotors and bearings. . . oh my)

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Mon Jul 28 23:03:44 EDT 2008

I whipped out my handy micrometer set last night, screwed in the 1-2"
bar, calibrated it and off I went to measure my axles.

I believe these are original style (if not actual original) axles.  They
are hollow.  They have a raised portion near the flange end and the stub
end that the bearing rides on.  The center part is slightly depressed,
or machined smaller.

I took my measurements at four location on each rise (i.e. each end of
the axle), at 90 degrees to each other and stepped up the shaft.  Here
are my averaged findings:

Drivers side:
1.5750 - Flange end (where the studs go)
1.5747 - Stub end (where the axle nut goes)

Passenger side:
1.5749 - Flange end
1.5748 - Stub end

There are no discernible grooves, or other marks.  Each axle is very
smooth and there are no areas a fingernail can catch.  I think I'm good
for re-using these.

No, I was not using a 5-digit micrometer.

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired

& Shelley Marie
Spokane, WA