[DeTomaso] Original half axle question

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Jul 28 19:32:45 EDT 2008

In a message dated 7/28/08 15 55 10, JJD1010 at aol.com writes:

> While shooting the S*** with another owner here in town, he said the
> original half shafts had a red arrow on them to indicate which direction
> they  should
> go, ie, the arrow points outward. I couldn't remember ever seeing that.
> Does
> anyone know for sure?
>
> Also the small shaft goes on the outside, right? and there is a reason for
> this, right?
>
> Jeff ( I have to keep relearning this kind of stuff! )

There are TWO arrows on each driveshaft, one on each half, and they point to
one another.   This is to ensure the proper rotational alignment of the two
halves, since they are balanced.

The driveshafts were originally equipped with the big end outboard, which
increases unsprung weight and interferes with exhaust systems.   Most people have
flipped them around to what is arguably the proper orientation.