[DeTomaso] Gotta love professionals!

asajay at asajay.com asajay at asajay.com
Mon Jul 28 17:09:02 EDT 2008

Aha!

It turns out I -did- know what you were talking about.  I just didn't
figure how it was affecting the parking brake, so I didn't think we
were talking about the same thing.  I'm getting ready (once done with
all the rebuilds) to write an article for the newsletter.

What I was failing to put together, was how it affected the parking
brake.  Once you explained it, I was like (duh).

Thanks Mike.

Here is a quick description of the mechanism which I will document and
put into a newsletter article later on.

The pad facing piston has a rod that is serrated at 0, 90, 180 and 270
in the shape of a cross.  The parking brake piston has a sleeve that
is serrated every 90 degrees at 45 degrees from the opposing piston.
Thus, when the serrations are engaged, the pistons are essentially
locked from closing on each other, but there is some kind of ingenious
mechanism that allows them to "ratchet" away from each other.

The reason you have to rotate the pad facing piston 45 degrees is to
disengage this meshing of the serrations (they actually look like
threads) so that you can collapse the pistons together.

Now, according to the photos you sent, the slot on your pistons is a
lot deeper than on mine.  The tab looks essentially the same as on my
stock pads.

The pads from Porterfield contain a PIN on the backside of ONE pad.
When you buy a set (both sides of the car), you get two pads with pins
and two without.  In my case, I have to file the pin down enough to
engage the slot but not too far to let it slip.  So really, it's a
"piston anti-rotation device," and it -is- pretty important.

Oh, and so apparently, if you order the Porterfield pads on line,
without actually talking to anyone, you -should- be getting the right
thing, pin (tabs) and all.

:)
Asa Jay

Quoting MikeLDrew at aol.com: