[DeTomaso] Head Lights

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Jul 28 00:23:22 EDT 2008

In a message dated 7/27/08 15 27 14, eds73l at hotmail.com writes:

> I jumped in the car("P"car) the other night and put the head lights on to
> pull it in the garage. Lights worked great. They came up and went on But when
> I shut the lights off they stayed in the up position!!. Played with the
> switch but they are stuck in the up position. Any sugestions what to check 1st.
> Thanks In Advance

Hmm.   It's either an electrical problem, or a mechanical one.
Mechanically, the plastic gear that raises and lowers the headlights (same as the window
motor gear) could have broken.  Fixing that is a pain in the butt, but not all
that difficult.

Electrically, you could have a limit switch failure (the headlights won't go
down because the failed 'down' switch is already sending the 'down' signal and
cutting off power to the motor), but more likely it's a failure of the
headlight switch itself.

If you have replacement halogen headlights, and have not rewired the
headlight circuit to incorporate relays, you're wrong.   And now paying the price by
sizzling a $75 headlight switch. :<(

Do your troubleshooting, and if the switch is the culprit, buy a replacement
and do NOT install it until you've rewired the circuit, either on your own
using the diagram available at www.panteraplace.com in the tech section, or you
can buy a plug-and-play kit from several different people (Rick Moseley, Rich
Boschert, and Bob Timma all offer various solutions to this problem).

Let us know what you find out?