[DeTomaso] Here's what the Corvette folks think.

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 26 18:45:44 EDT 2008

I did it.  It made a difference.

There's probably a how-to on one of the P-sites.  It isn't hard to do at
all.

Remove the chrome plate around the shifter - 4 allen head screws.  When you
remove the plate, I believe it also removes the black fiberglass? cover.  I
can't remember what it looks like next, but there are probably 4 more bolts
to remove.  At some point, you'll see a circular cover and/or bolt.  When
you remove it, there will be a spring and a ball.  Mine was covered in
grease.  It came out in one piece.  I didn't need to use a magnet.  I
removed both spring and ball, and reinstalled everything in reverse order.
It's an easy hour-long-with-beer project.  30 minutes if you're in a hurry.

The spring isn't going to sproing to the roof.  It is fairly strong, but not
under a lot of pressure.