[DeTomaso]   Exhaust Port Plates for conversion to 2bbl heads with

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Jul 26 13:28:33 EDT 2008

In a message dated 7/26/08 12:03:33 AM, dyogi at hawaii.rr.com writes:

> When I removed the 4v set, you could see the mismatch of the heads/headers
> due to the port/header size imprinted on the gaskets but the gaskets held up
> great.  I don’t know how much performance difference loss there is due to the
> mismatch but they didn’t leak and worked.

4V headers are larger in dia at the port and this acts as a sort of
anti-reversion step. The exhaust flows out unrestricted but when the reflected
ram-pulse returns from the collector, it catches on the 'step' at the head and doesn't
make it all the way into the combustion chamber to dilute the incoming intake
mixture; sort of like a check-valve. This increases the torque at some point
in the mid-range, where most street driving is done. Much the same thing
happens when installing a 2V intake on 4-V heads. The limiting factor is the
diameter of the 2V portion which limits upper rpm gas flows (either intake or
exhaust) and resulting power. You pay extra for such things when tuning an engine
for midrange.... FWIW- J Deryke