[DeTomaso] Axles and rotors and bearings. . . oh my

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Jul 25 13:42:19 EDT 2008

In a message dated 7/25/08 9:56:18 AM, wkooiman at earthlink.net writes:

> Consider replacing the sleeve that fits between the inner and outer
> bearings.  I didn't, but I'm starting to believe the comments that the stock sleeve
> is too soft.

The inner bearing spacer is mild steel and its ends get chewed up over the
years, but it really doesn't matter- the inner bearing is only located in the
carrier by the spacer's length; the OD of the bearing 'floats' in the carrier
and all cornering loads are taken by the outer bearing against its machined
'step' and by the outer retainer plate. The inner bearing only absorbs some of the
weight of that corner of the car and helps keep the axle straight in the
carrier. The condition of the spacer is not why axles and wheels wobble- the
wobbling of a worn axle chews up the spacer, not the other way around. You could
shorten a stock spacer 1/4" or make it out of heat-treated 4130-steel and a
brand new bearing would still wobble with a worn axle. FWIW- J DeRyke