[DeTomaso] ADA 9628 sequential gearbox

Kjetil Finne kjetfinn at online.no
Fri Jul 25 13:11:20 EDT 2008

Hi Patrick

I think I have touched in on this theme before.
I would suggest:
Nr 1 alternative.
Gearfox from Italy. They are making the transaxle for the Koenigsegg,
and Wanni from Gearfox seems very knowlegdeable.
He is on the GT40,s forum a lot. They are making sequential gearboxes
for very high output engines. The prices I have seen in the past has
been much lover than comparable Hewland boxes.
However I would not know anything about how it would fit int the Pantera
with regards to length, drive shaft location, etc.
Here is some information about the company posted on the GT40 forum.
This was posted from one off the GT 40 owners after a visit to the factory:

*Company: CIMA and Gearfox / Foxmatic Date: 27 June 2007*

*Contacts: Wanni Albertini -- CEO of Gearfox, Fabrizio Sasdelli -- MD
Cima, Cleardo Giacometti -- Area Sales Manager, Maurizio Bigi --
Foxmatic and CEO of Automac *

*Objective: This contact came from the GT40S website. Cima/Gearfox
designed and developed the transaxles used in the Koenigsegg and other
low volume, high performance supercars (Pagani, Apollo, Ascari,
Tramontana, etc). *

*Results: CIMA is part of the Coesia Group, employ 125 people. Coesia is
an Italian group with businesses that include tobacco packaging and
general machine tools. Coesia employs in total 4000 people. CIMA started
life making gear making machines more then 20 years ago.*

*Today, CIMA supplies gear parts and transmissions with its own name, to
KTM, Piaggio and other motor cycle builders. It further supplies gears
to three F1 teams, Ferrari, BMW, and Toyota. *

*The firm also supplies parts to the Magna designed Ferrari F430 E-diff,
to Hoerbiger regarding a BMW motorcycle clutch holder. The company is
also aeronautical certified. One of their Northern European industrial
customers has CIMA build a planetary gear reducer made to the customer's
design. CIMA did this at a cost lower than the OEM could make it
internally. CIMA is also well tooled for the grinding of crankshafts for
Scuderia Ferrari and MV Agusta*

*Of their own transaxle business, CIMA supply around 100 -- 150 per
annum, depending on which of their supercar makers are in business.
Gearfox/CIMA/Foxmatic recently took the Chrysler M412 (? -- This is a
new mid-engined supercar concept shown at various autoshows around the
world in 2004/5) business from Ricardo. The box is sequential shifted
with a low level of automation. This permits a paddle shift while
keeping manual clutch operation. Ricardo wanted EURIOM for development
and would supply 5 prototypes. CIMA/Foxmatic did not comment on their
offer but it was obviously more competitive than Ricardo. *

*The company has a Berduel heat treatment centre, the only one outside
of France. It was noted that all F1 teams use this system. The system is
new, and said to be state of the art.*

*The firm's philosophy is to work with high quality, small production
runs, up to several thousand pieces (probably 20,000) per part per annum. *

*The relationship between CIMA and Gearfox is interesting. Gearfox does:*
*Design, development, product testing, applications engineering, and
owns the intellectual property to the designs. Gearfox also has other
arrangements with a mechatronics company called Automac. The
products/systems produced in collaboration between the 2 companies are
branded Foxmatic.*

*Automac designed the first Selespeed transmission for Fiat/Magneti
Marelli installed in the Ferrari F355F1. They also designed the variable
intake trumpets for Yamaha's GP motorcycle. Right now Automac is
designing an active suspension for a race motorcycle. The first tests
were made early the previous week, and the bike was over 1 second faster
than the lap record. A 600 Honda superbike was used for the
installation. They told me no more than this. *

*The most interesting aspect of this triangulation is that they are
capable to produce complete systems the best clutch for the application
from: AP Racing, Sachs Race or Exedy.*

Kjetil
Pantera 1613