[DeTomaso] Sticking E Brake

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Jul 24 13:05:47 EDT 2008

In a message dated 7/23/08 5:51:54 PM, mbefthomas at comcast.net writes:

> I need to check that the spring is in good shape, but what else can I do.
> The whole rear caliper was recently rebuilt.  Can I lube it somewhere so the
> arm pivots freely?

First, be sure its really the caliper sticking and not the long cables from
bellcrank to calipers. The cables often freeze up from lack of lube, holding
the brake on. To lube this is difficult: you basically need to construct a
'funnel' from light cardboard and tape it to the cable end, raise the funnel end up
higher than the other end which should have a plastic baggie taped to it as a
catch-container, and pour some oil in the funnel. Ovenight, some will drain
thru the cable jacket to the other end. Then by working the cable from both
ends, the oil will distribute. Let it drain so no more comes out and you're done
until next time.
If the long bellcrank arm under the car is stuck, take the nut off the pivot-
the arm has a bushing in it that may respond to being cleaned & lubed.
One owner found his GT5-S had been undercoated so thoroughly that the
asphalt-based undercoat had worked its way inside the cable jacket and glued the
inner cable to the jacket. Then when he put on the e-brake for the 1st time, it
didn't release and burned the small, expensive brake shoes off. His fix was to
completely remove the cables from caliper to bellcrank and soak the thing in a
tub of paint thinner for a week.... then lube it. Good luck- J Deryke