[DeTomaso] Sequential gearbox for the ADA pantera

Patrick Hals patrickhals at skynet.be
Wed Jul 23 17:11:43 EDT 2008

As some of you know, I purchased last year, the very well known ex ADA Engineering Le Mans 1994 Pantera VIN  9628.
The car needed restoration, and was missing engine and gearbox.
Now that Candy 2862 successfully finished Le Mans Classic, thanks to Mad Dawg's Team Pantera stickers  :>)) I now start to concentrate on the rebuilt of the ADA Pantera.
For those who want to look at some Le Mans Candy pics, please go to http://www.lemansphotos.com/index_galerie.php?n=157&nom=Le%20Mans%20Classic%202008%20-%20Plateau%206, car 56
I have found a proper solution for the ADA engine, presently being built by John Christian, but so far, I haven't been able to locate a proper sequential gearbox, except some brand new magnesium Hewland NLT, extremely costly.
I consider other alternative ( and possibly cheaper) solutions by looking at what the second hand market can offer, in other brands too ( Xtrac, Getrag, Ricardo, and so on )
You can find details over the "good Ole'351C " block I bought for ADA on
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=9362

Now, here is the requirements'list for the intended gearbox

1. it MUST be sequential, 5 or 6 speeds ( considering the torque, it probably doesn't make such a huge difference on long race tracks)

2. it must fit the Pantera engine and drivetrain.

3. it must be capable of supporting the intended enormous torque and power of the engine.

4. It must be very reliable ( the car always had gearbox problems, even with Hewland, and even when the Hewland gearbox was finetuned by the March F1 gearbox engineers )

5. spare pinions must be easy to find, in order to adjust the gearbox'ratios to the racetrack.

I've been told some Porsche gearboxes could be adapted, but that the baffles were upside down, and so, useless ( True or not? I am uncompetent in this field ).

Luckily, the GT90's revival organizers allowed me to race the car in its last 1997 specs, and considering the competition and the other cars in presence,( McLaren GTR, Ferrari F40, Porsche GT1, Mercedes CLK GTR, ... any improvement to the ADA car, with modern technology, is not only welcome, but important.

Many thanks for your help and suggestions.

Patrick

2862 - 2342 - 9628 -3679