[DeTomaso] Fuel Tank Specs

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Jul 23 16:27:08 EDT 2008

In a message dated 7/23/08 11:48:47 AM, eanderson at geotracinternational.com
writes:

> There's a guy here who said he would build me an aluminum tank to spec for
> $300 + COR. That offer seems too good to be true, but I have nothing to lose
> in sending him pix and specs.

A few racing Panteras ran simple rectangular dual 10 gallon tanks -one on
each side of the engine with large dia. connecting pipes & vents so fueling one
tank filled both, and dual connections to the fuel pump. I remember seeing a
pair of fuel cells with this hardware for sale at a San Diego P's swap meet many
years ago. This not only seems simpler than reproducing the odd-shaped OEM
tank in other metals, it likely would be cheaper and   would balance the car
better; the gas in a full OEM tank weighs 150 lbs and would be better handling if
all or at least half of that weight were on the other side of the chassis,
and was carried lower on the chassis. The only negative seems to be rigging some
sort of fuel-level gauge that was as accurate as stock. FWIW- J Deryke