[DeTomaso] NPC - Looking for a Datsun 510

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Wed Jul 23 13:18:07 EDT 2008

Ha!  I've been lucky enough to have lots of friends in the Panteras Northwest Club help me diagnose problems before the problems could get bad enough to leave me stranded.  Aside from the time I had to pull over from the "cold day in Hell" very hot, bumper to bumper traffic on the freeway as the car overheated (before I added the wonderful third fan...), I haven't yet been stranded.

I had signed up for the track event at the Vegas Fun Rally this year, but after Paul Rimov in Medford Oregon, discovered my motor was a bit questionable to make the entire trip, I decided to rent a car the rest of the way so I wouldn't get stranded!

As far as the closet--you're talking to a guy who resigned from the board and membership from my Rotary Club (one of the largest in the world) because they decided to admit a guy who was in the middle of a sex-change operation.

Being fanatical about Panteras I understand, sex-changed operations I just don't get.

Chris

Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 10:01:01 -0700From: teampantera at yahoo.comSubject: Re: [DeTomaso] NPC - Looking for a Datsun 510To: chrisvkimball at msn.com; wkooiman at earthlink.net; nckzck at yahoo.com; detomaso at realbig.comCome out of the closet...we all love you. ;-]>Christopher Kimball <chrisvkimball at msn.com> wrote:
OK, now I can't resist! The one modification I made to my '72 that people all seem to like is the driver's side fuel fill. I used donor parts from a Contour and a Honda, so now I pull a release in the cabin (the release even has the little picture of a gas pump) and the gill pops open (the entire gill, not just a hole-shaped piece) and I can fill the tank with ease! When done, the gill pops back into place and looks totally stock.Other mods have been somewhat more, shall we say, controversial?I just know certain purists will bristle at some of what I've done (especially Mad Dawg, I'm guessing) because some feel a Pantera should be lean and mean and ready for the races, so purists, read this and weep!Since buying the car in December '06, here are some of the wonderful upgrades I've performed:Wiper delay (I live in Washington)Twin amplifier stereo with 9 speakers, including a dual-voice-coil 12" subwoofer (so much for saving weight! Hey, I'm a drummer)DVD playerIPOD dock (under the ashtray door)Power mirrorsPower locksA CUP HOLDER!!! (I gotta have my Starbuck's)Cruise ControlThe infamous fan-equipped engine cover (which still works great and gets all sorts of Kudos at car shows--people love it! HA)Three green LED light bars instead of the stock dome lightAnother green LED light bar at the bottom of the front Valance Third radiator fanIndividual LEDs to monitor power to the fansA tiny, rechargeable flashlight in place of the cigarette lighterAnd finally, a license plate frame that reads, "It's not a toy, it's an investment."You see, I've always felt good humor makes all things tolerable. Don't take things too seriously and enjoy life to the fullest!Strangely, though, I haven't added a delta wing or fender flares...Chris#3846> Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 22:30:01 -0500> From: wkooiman at earthlink.net> To: chrisvkimball at msn.com; teampantera at yahoo.com; nckzck at yahoo.com; detomaso at realbig.com> Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] NPC - Looking for a Datsun 510> > I laugh at Daffy Duck too. Not so much at Donald.> > -----Original Message-----> >From: Christopher Kimball > >Sent: Jul 22, 2008 1:48 AM> >To: Mad Dog Antenucci , nckzck at yahoo.com, DeTomaso Forum > >Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] NPC - Looking for a Datsun 510> >> >> >By the way, I forgot to add that my car, which has been the subject of much ribbing on this very forum, received the President's Award at the huge Mustang Roundup car show in Bellevue last Sunday. Steve Saleen was there, and although I didn't actually hear him say it, I'm sure he said something about adding extra cooling fans to the new supercar he's going to start building...> >> >Did I also mention I won 2nd Place last year at the Northwest Historics car show for the 70's and 80's division (against Lambos and Ferraris, etc)? That was the first car show in which I ever had a car to show.> >> >Just remember, they laughed at Galileo, too!> >> >> >Chris> >#3846 > >> >> >> >> Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 23:04:56 -0700> >> From: teampantera at yahoo.com> >> To: nckzck at yahoo.com; detomaso at realbig.com> >> Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] NPC - Looking for a Datsun 510> >> > >> Will the gay guy with the pink Datsun 510 that has 3 cooling fans, LED lights, new water tubes, hoses and special race oil please call Perry ASAP. ;-]>> >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> Perry Lindsey wrote: I am looking for a Datsun 510 to buy. I want a cool (I know this is up to personal interpretation, Mad Dog!) older car to drive to work, and a 510 would be a fun option. If you have one hiding in a corner of your garage, or know an owner with one available, please let me know. Thanks in advance.> >> > >> Perry Lindsey> >> > >> > >> > >> _______________________________________________> >> > >> Detomaso Forum Managed by POCA> >> > >> Archive Search Engine Now Available at http://www.realbig.com/detomaso/> >> > >> DeTomaso mailing list> >> DeTomaso at list.realbig.com> >> http://list.realbig.com/mailman/listinfo/detomaso> >> > >> > >> > >> Mad Dawg Antenucci > >> Team Pantera Racing > >> The 1st & still the only vintage race team in open road racing > >> www.teampanteraracing.com> >> _______________________________________________> >> > >> Detomaso Forum Managed by POCA> >> > >> Archive Search Engine Now Available at http://www.realbig.com/detomaso/> >> > >> DeTomaso mailing list> >> DeTomaso at list.realbig.com> >> http://list.realbig.com/mailman/listinfo/detomaso> >_______________________________________________> >> >Detomaso Forum Managed by POCA> >> >Archive Search Engine Now Available at http://www.realbig.com/detomaso/> >> >DeTomaso mailing list> >DeTomaso at list.realbig.com> >http://list.realbig.com/mailman/listinfo/detomaso> _______________________________________________Detomaso Forum Managed by POCAArchive Search Engine Now Available at http://www.realbig.com/detomaso/DeTomaso mailing listDeTomaso at list.realbig.comhttp://list.realbig.com/mailman/listinfo/detomaso