[DeTomaso] Wipers

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jul 23 01:27:36 EDT 2008

In a message dated 7/22/08 17 08 24, wdemelo at cogeco.ca writes:

> Which way should the wipers be parked on a 74?
>

>>>If it's a '74 that parks on the left, then they park on the left.
Otherwise, they park on the right. :>)

What kind of wipers do you have?   That tells you whether they park on the
left or right.   If you stand in front of your car and look at it, if the wiper
drive nubs pass through the grilles towards the passenger side, then the arms
park towards the driver's side, and vice-versa.

Only US-model 1974 Panteras had wipers that parked on the passenger side.
Some late 1973 cars were built with this feature too.   Years after the Pantera
passed all DOT tests, some twink decided that there wasn't enough wiper
coverage in front of the driver and Ford had to reengineer the whole system to
change the way the wipers operated.   The right-side-park wipers parked halfway up
the windshield too, which looked really stupid.

> >And what is the problem if they do'nt park in the same spot when you turn
> them off?
>
>>>There is a cam inside the wiper motor/gearbox which is supposed to break
contact and stop the wipers at a certain point, after power is removed.   On
both my Cobra and Pantera (which use the same system), this feature stopped
working, so the wipers stop almost as soon as you turn the switch off.   It's a
struggle to time it just right, because they still move a little bit when power
is removed.   So you have to hold your tongue just right, and turn the switch
off JUST before they get to the parked position.

If you find out how to fix it let me know!