[DeTomaso] Talked with Steve about the bushings

asajay at asajay.com asajay at asajay.com
Tue Jul 22 19:02:25 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I got a chance to give Steve Wilkinson a call today.  Here is the story.

Steve has sourced two different a-arm bushings over the past couple of
years.  The earlier style like I received last year, and a later style
he is now shipping.

The earlier style.
This was built with a Teflon inner sleeve designed to allow the
bushing to slide side to side easier.  Steve advises to simply use a
rubber hammer to get the a-arms back into place, perhaps spreading the
mounting ears a little to assist.  Once the arms are torqued to 45 ft.
lbs they should set up just right.

The later style are a slightly different design and should slip right
in.  As I've measured them to be short, I can attest that they will.

Steve assures me he has received questions from others regarding the
same concerns and has told them to simply use a rubber hammer, bend
the ears a little, get the a-arm placed and torqued, and he's had no
complaints.

The third style that another list member sent me photos of, appear to
be something Steve doesn't believe he's ever carried, so the jury is
still out on that one, though that one does appear to be the best fit.

Steve did discuss with me how the lower a-arm attachment points are
cast, and if I can't get them in I may have to change out with the
shorter, later bushing, so I ordered up enough to replace eight
bushings if I need to.

May I point out that Steve was very easy to work with.

Maybe my wimpy muscles just aren't enough to make it all work, or
maybe I'm just being too much of a perfectionist in some ways and not
in others.  <shrug>  I'll be evaluating the overall assembly, changing
any bushings as necessary and getting this cat back together again.

Asa Jay