[DeTomaso] Mustang rotor swap question?

parapantera at aol.com parapantera at aol.com
Tue Jul 22 15:45:07 EDT 2008

 That's a negative!? The shoulders of the Pantera studs are slightly smaller than that of the Mustang stud, just enough that they will fit in the hole and bite just a little............just enough that when you tighten that lug nut the first time, that stud will spin stripping out the press fit hole.?

? Also, when I did my parts cross reference check, the 66' Mustang and the Pantera have the same part numbers for both inner and outer bearings as well as the seal.

Here is the text from my post a few years back

"The swap was straight forward, they even use the same
bearings and seals.? The only two catches
are you have to slightly modify a pair of $10?
dust caps from the "Help" rack located in about any auto parts
store, and then? there is the studs.? The shank on the Mustang stud is ever so
slightly? larger than the

Pantera shank, so if you put the Pantera stud in the
Mustang? hole, it would not
"bite" enough to keep from spinning while tightening the lug? nuts.?
Before I bought the rotors I did purchase a junk 66 Mustang rotor to
verify all of the dimensions, bearing spacing, bearing location to rotor
center, etc.? I even bought a tap and
resized one of the mustang studs to Pantera metric, and they cleaned up just
fine!? However, people who know rotors
and studs very well told me this is a no-no since this can upset the correct
radius at the stud base, causing the stud to shear off.? I thought it was a better idea to just by
inch lug nuts (that fit just fine) than to test the "Lets see if the
wheels come off at speed" theory.? I
have posted two pictures, one with the rotor on only
(http://members.aol.com/parapantera/newrotor.jpg),? and one after mounting the caliper
(http://members.aol.com/parapantera/newrotorcal.jpg) .

?

Ron"