[DeTomaso] indicator light/"overheating"/FI

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 21 11:30:01 EDT 2008

Mass air will adjust for altitude.  I'm pretty sure that's what you have.
The mass air meter is right behind the air filter.  I don't think speed
density has anything behind the filter.

Mass air measures the amount of current needed to keep a wire at a specified
temp.  If the air is cooler, it takes more current, so it detects more air
going in the engine.  If the air is thinner, it takes less current, so it
detects less air going into the engine.  If you're running at 5,000 rpm,
there's more air, so it takes more current, and so forth.  At least that's
how I understand it.

The speed density 5.0's ran harder, but the mass air 5.0's handle mods
better.  Assuming you have mass air, you should be fine with your camshaft.

BTW, you want your oil to run at least hot enough to boil water.  It helps
keep condensation out of the engine.  215 sounds perfect to me.

BTW2, you probably want to change your spark plugs.  They're probably nasty
after that many miles with a 160deg thermostat.  One of the old tricks with
5.0's was to install a 160deg thermostat.  It would trick the computer to
run rich to fix a metering problem - like if you're running a camshaft too
large.  I thought it was only done on the speed density cars, though.