[DeTomaso] indicator light

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Jul 20 00:36:38 EDT 2008

In a message dated 7/19/08 17 37 44, adin at frontier.net writes:

> I need to have a little light to let me know when the cooling fans
> come on (ford, but not pantera) . . . it seems one could just take 12v
> off the fan to a light.  It also seems this is a fire waiting to
> happen - do I need to take the power off the relay???
>
> Help please . . .
>
> electronically challenged I remain,

Dave,

De Tomaso was way ahead of you--there is a fan indicator light sitting right
there at the bottom of your speedometer!

That light is amber in color, and moron Lincoln Mercury customers interpreted
that as a WARNING light and this drew complaints.   So after early 1972, it
was left unconnected.

It is a very simple matter to string a wire from the output side of your #2
fan relay back to this light.   Voila! :>)

Actually, if you string it from the output side, where 12V flows to the fan
motor, then the spinning fan might cause the light to glow when it is spinning,
but not powered.   Come to think of it, it's probably better to string the
wire from the input to the fan relay, where the relay gets its "turn on the fan"
signal from the thermoswitch in the radiator.