[DeTomaso] Fuel Pump Plumbing

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 19 21:37:37 EDT 2008

It's probably not the best idea to use a Holley red to suck the gas out the
top of the tank.  Most electric pumps don't like to suck.

It should work fine if it's plumbed to the bottom of the tank, though.

You shouldn't need to run 2 pumps.  That's the wrong solution.

Here are the things I'd check:

1.  Vacuum in your gas tank.  When it dies, open the gas cap.  If it sucks
air, you have a venting problem.
2.  Plugged fuel filter.  Even if it's brand new, it could be plugged -
especially if you just cleaned the tank.  Remove the filter, hold it upside
down - so that the direction of flow is pointing down.  Does gas come out?
Turn it the other way.  Does gas come out?  If gravity can't push gas
through the filter, a pump isn't going to push it either.
3.  Fuel filter on the suction side.  It's a lot easier to push fuel than it
is to suck it.  I always put one filter on the pressure side.
4.  It could be crap in the fuel passages in your carburetor - right before
the needle/seat.
5.  Vapor lock gets blamed a lot, but it's probably the least likely.  It's
not like you have fuel lines running across the headers or anything.

By the way, I prefer mechanical pumps.  They worked fine for many years.  An
electric pump is one more thing to fail.  Unfortunately, there aren't a lot
of good pumps for 351C's.  I like the Holley Chrome pump.  It has a thick
diaphragm.  I've used a cheap Autozone pump.  The diaphragm looked like a
bicycle inner tube.  I want to try the pumps from Rob Mcquarie.

Gotta go,
Later,

Will.