[DeTomaso] Electric Fuel Pumps, ?fuel delivery issue

clay willmott claywillmott at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 19 15:02:57 EDT 2008

Does anyone have an electric fuel pump that both pushes and pulls on their Pantera?
Mine is set up with a Holley Red from a new fuel sender.  It came this way and I am thinking of trying a puller plus pusher style pump prior to changing to the Holley 80 gph mechanical pump.
After changing all my lines to SS, new fuel filters and pump, looking in gas tank twice (no debris)  I had another engine kill after driving for about 20 minutes. The car restarted and ran well after 5-8 minutes of cooling off.  I was told vapor lock would not regress so quickly and that a Holley Red may not be the best pump to pull from the top of a tank and may intermittently not be able to keep fuel delivery up to par.  When I tried to restart it to get it out of the road it would run 1-2 seconds, advancing all of 1-2 feet then die like an engine that is out of gas.  I had a 1/2 tank, engine temp and oil pressure were fine.

I put my inline fuel pressure gauge back on and will leave it there and if this recurs check the fuel pressure during the episode.
Any other suggestions?
I was told removing the air filter right when this happens and peering down the carb may answer the question but I am not sure why unless it diagnosis vapor lock.  Or can you normally see the fuel in the float bowl and if it is not there that would indicate vapor lock or a pump not receiving adequate fuel?

Any help appreciated.

Clay