[DeTomaso] The case of the missing rod bearing...

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 17 13:39:04 EDT 2008

Or, what it looks like when a rod bearing disappears.

On my way home from the Monterey Historic Races last year my Pantera developed a
nasty rod knock. I pulled it into the garage and parked it, knowing it was time for a rebuild.

A week ago I pulled my engine with the help of fellow PCNC members Rich Boschert,
Rich's friend Todd, and Bob Benson, and we noticed the glint of metal in the oil sitting in
corner of the heads.

Last night I finished disassembling the engine and found...

 - Metal sludge in the oil pan
 - All bearings are shot - extremely worn and splintering
 - #1 rod bearing completely MISSING - MIA, gone, no pieces anywhere, save for one 3/8" x 1/8" sliver I found on a wall of the block
 - Underside of the #1 piston has been scraping something - I suspect the crank journals
 - The crank journal for the #1 rod has been ground down at least 1/16" on one side, and maybe 1/32" on the other
 - All lifters are worn concave, rather than their normal convex shape

Pics here: http://www.banzairunnerpantera.com/engine_teardown.htm

One the bright side, the cylinder walls look very good and there is no perceptible ridge
at the top of any cylinder. The block goes to the machine shop this afternoon, so we'll see
what they say.

Cheers!
Garth