[DeTomaso] Ignition truble

Mike Vallee mike.vallee at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 17 12:40:54 EDT 2008

Hi Jorn,

I'm sorry too hear you have the problem, but glad you found it. I still have the
problem as well since we replaced the bronze gear with another when I broke
down on the way on the way to Vegas. I haven't driven the car since getting back.

I see ( a few emails further in ) that Jack D. has some info on a Ford/SVO gear
that looks to be a solution to our problem. I also found this gear from Crane Cams
that looks like it may work as well.

    http://www.cranecams.com/pdf/Page536.pdf

  Jack, could you take a look at the above when you have a moment and let us
  know what you think. Both Jorn and I have MSD billet distributors. Will any gear
  designed for a 351W dist. fit the MSD versions? I assume (with my limited
  knowledge) that any 351W dist would have the same shaft dimensions. Yes, No?
  Also, one line in the Crane Cams document worries me... The one about "use of
  these gears on camshafts previously run with other types of materials...being
  detrimental" What do you think that's about and do Jorn and I need to replace
  our camshafts as well as our dist gears?

--mike v

73 L #5473