[DeTomaso] Approved Color for Brake Fluid

asajay at asajay.com asajay at asajay.com
Wed Jul 16 16:59:23 EDT 2008

Department of transportation web site.

http://tinyurl.com/5dpan6

A little way down the page, section S5.1.14, reproduced here:

S5.1.14 Fluid color. Brake fluid and hydraulic system mineral oil
shall be of the color indicated:

DO3, DO4, and DO5.1 non–SBBF—colorless to amber.
DO5 SBBF—purple.
Hydraulic system mineral oil—green.

So it would appear that ATE Super Blue is not DOT approved, though its
sister product ATE Type 200 is.  Therefore the note on the Tire Rack's
web site that it's not DOT approved in Florida, is true, but omits the
rest of the story that it's not really DOT approved anywhere.

Now then, the last time I was stopped by the Police to check my brake
fluid, I was tol..... wait, I've never -been- stopped by the Police to
check my brake fluid.

Looks like another application of Renegade commandment number nine:
legality is a matter of apprehension.

Asa Jay