[DeTomaso] Pulling the Zf

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Tue Jul 15 01:06:21 EDT 2008

Don't forget to also either unbolt the headers or the headers from the
tailpipes.  I suggest unbolting the headers, makes it easier to loosen the
motor mounts and it's also a good opportunity to check for exhaust leaks and
put in fresh gaskets.

I would seriously suggest using a hoist to lift the ZF out.  I did mine by
myself - 1.5 hours out, to torque the flywheel (that's another story).  I
used two come-alongs slung over the hook so I could use the ratchets to
adjust the angle of the ZF as it came out and went back in.  Hanging from
the hoist made the lining up of the input shaft a breeze.

Good luck!

Mike Thomas
Panteras Northwest