[DeTomaso] Pulling the Zf

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Jul 15 00:59:40 EDT 2008

In a message dated 7/14/08 9:10:53 PM, wdemelo at cogeco.ca writes:

> How do I remove the ZF by itself? I remember reading that I've got to jack
> the motor up slightly? Do I need to reove the motor mount bolts? Obviously,
> the coolant lines need to be disconnected?

Unbolt the bellhousing from the engine, including the three 1/4-20 screws
underneath thru the block-protector plate. Unbolt the clamps holding the e-brake
cables to the bottom of the ZF. Unfasten the speedo cable. Unbolt the
gearshift spline at the selector box on the   ZF and slide the splined end off the
stub shaft. Unbolt the starter (attaches to the bellhousing). Unbolt the inboard
stub axles from the halfshafts and push the halfshafts away. Unbolt the ZF
mounts from the cases. Unbolt the slave cylinder bracket from the bellhousing and
disconnect the slave from the bellcrank on the bell housing. The tranny ass'y
w/bell housing weighs about 150 lbs and can slide back far enough to
disconnect the clutch & pilot bearing without damaging the A/C shroud. The engine can
be supported by a floorjack & 2x4 under the pan (no real weight on it). The
balance point is about in line with the stub axles. Two strong guys can lift it
out, or a strap and crane also works. Be careful- they're always oily
underneath. When returning the tranny, sometimes a slight tilt to the engine via the
floor jack helps align the two packages. Good luck- J Deryke

Get
the scoop on last night's hottest shows and the live music scene in your area
- Check out TourTracker.com!