[DeTomaso] Hazard Switch Replacement

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 22:43:08 EDT 2008

Has anyone used one the Hella hazard switches on a car originally
equipped with a late style hazard switch (the type with a resistor
on the back, p/n D26Y-13A350A)?   My switch broke (the button
popped out) and another Pantera owner was kind enough to send me
an extra he got from Johnny Woods.  This switch is not a direct
replacement (smaller bezel diameter, snaps in rather than held
in by washer and nut, etc.).

SOBill has two sets of hazard wiring diagrams, one "early" and
one "late" with different wiring hookups.  The numbering on the
early one matches the Hella switch as well as the numbering on
the original.  I replaced the switch on my other Pantera with
one from PPC and the wiring diagram that came with it is the
same as SOBill's early one except the blue and blue/black wires
are reversed.

When I wire it up per the diagram, it doesn't work.  Reversing
the blue and blue/black wires doesn't make it work either.
Reversing the yellow and yellow/black wires does make the flasher
work (which is odd since the the PPC diagram says they are bridged
together in the wire loom) but the center console instrument
lights are always lit, whether or not the headlights are on or
the dimmer is on min or max.  If I also reverse the red and black
wires, the center console lights go out but will not come on with
the headlights.

I put my old switch back in and the center console lights don't
work with it either, though I believe it did before.  I checked
the fuses and none seem to be blown.  Could it be the dimmer
switch?  It's odd that reversing the red and black wires would
make them light if the dimmer was bad.

Any help is appreciated.  BTW, my car is a 1974 L model.

Thanks,
Dan Jones