[DeTomaso] Front hood latch hard to close

ProvaMo.com Pantera007 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 9 22:37:55 EDT 2008

My 2 pence:

There are several (two or more) versions of the latch assembly (the body
side) for '71-74 cars, which was first pointed out to me by somebody I now
forget, but he nicely sent me a photo of "the other style", which was an
earlier style than my late 72.  One spring attempts to bring back the latch
to the locked position.  The other spring attempts to return the cable.
On my version (Do you need photos, or can you look at yours?)
the two mounting studs are fixed to the body piece, and the assembly is
fitted and nuts are added last.  This version has little or no up/down
adjustment.  Mine has a little, and I've used what I've got.  One could slot
the hole more to add adjustment.  (Assembly moved up makes the latch close
earlier.)

The problem this first chap had was the bracket that holds the assembly to
the body was bent down a little and he could not get a latch without
excessive force.  If you have an early 72 or 71 car, this may also be "you".
He added a "L" support to keep the body-side support that holds the latch
from springing down as he pushed the hood closed.

The later style has a slightly stronger mount to the body and seems not to
flex so much.

If you have added new/fresh front trunk (boot or bonnet ???) gasket you may
be making it worse if it is not seated fully.  Could this be the case?

Don't tell your young kid, but Playdough can be used to see where parts
contact first, if something is getting in the way.

Things to consider anyway.

Cheers!

Chuck Melton