[DeTomaso] Weirdness with my Cleveland ...

ProvaMo.com Pantera007 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 8 19:06:37 EDT 2008

What about a blown power valve?

In a message dated 7/8/08 3:41:23 PM, eanderson at geotracinternational.com
writes:

> I got about half a block and felt the power drop bigtime.  Just as she
> stalled she let out a huge backfire!  My cat has NEVER backfired before -
so I'm
> not sure if that has something to do with the problem or not. That said,
the
> car won't start since this happened .

Pull the distributor. Look through the hole in the distributor drive gear.
There should be a roll pin in there. Yours is probably a spring pin made of
many
coils of thin sheet steel. It is likely broken or at least cracked. A real
roll pin will cost around 15 cents and will have a single sheet of much
thicker
steel with a slot down the side. For ultimate protection, slip a second
smaller roll pin inside the first. Retime the engine and you're ready to go.
If the drive pin seems unbroken when you drive it out with a punch to
verify,
the only other possibility is a slipped cam chain, and for this, the rear
upholstery panel, the steel access door, the water pump and harmonic
balancer
must come off. Badly worn cam chains can jump off the sprocket teeth,
mistiming
the cam; replace the chain and both sprockets for best results. All this can
be
done with the engine in place, incidently. Good luck- J Deryke