[DeTomaso] Tire Pressure

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Jul 8 14:04:18 EDT 2008

In a message dated 7/8/08 10:19:16 AM, MZadony at fleetresponse.com writes:

> This is a stupid question.  What tire pressure should I use?  Fronts are
> Toyo P225/50R15 90V & Rears are Pirelli 285/50VR15.

Not a stupid question. With the cost of rear tires and fuel, this stuff is
more important than ever.   Wheel alignment is as important as pressures, by the
way. A typical Pantera will have at least one suspension corner out of
alignment, so one tire will wear faster than the others no matter what pressures you
run. "Correct" pressures and alignment specs also vary depending on what your
intentions are. I carry 32psi front and 36psi rear around town, and 42 front
48 rear on the highway, or when on track. The higher pressures increase
handling precision and fuel mileage but stiffens up the ride enough so your
passenger (if you carry one) may comment. A second way to find the 'correct' pressures
for your car is to take tire temperature measurements using a needle tire
pyrometer. When the temps across both front or rear treads are within 10 degrees
F, the ailgnment and pressures are close to perfect. Or, if tire wear across
the treads is equal over time according to a tread-wear gauge, your alignment
and pressures are fine.   Good luck- J Deryke