[DeTomaso] Tire Pressure

cengles at cox.net cengles at cox.net
Tue Jul 8 13:59:55 EDT 2008

Dear Myron,

Not a stupid question, but it does not have a simple answer. It looks like you have "good" Pirelli P7s (likely) in the rear and less good, much lower speed rated Toyos in the front. This can cause funny handling. I know because I had the opposite situation a few years ago with the good tires on the front and the weak tires on the rear. In may case I had to inflate the weak tires to 45 psi to stiffen up the tire so that it began to feel firm and a bit predictable. It was never correct and I gave up and went to seventeen inch wheels and tires, but that is another story.

In your case I would recommend beginning with normal inflation pressure in the front and rear tires. See how it drives in straight lines and powering around sweeping turns as well and sharper corners. If you're happy with it then leave it be. If it understeers, then I would suggest deflating the P7s by a few pounds, say 2-3 psi and increasing the Toyos by 4-5 psi and re-test until you're satisfied. I doubt that unless the P7s are badly worn that they will be a problem. You can keep raising the psi of the Toyos up to the low to mid forties. By that point, you'll either be sure that mixed tires isn't going to work or that you've finally found the right tire pressure for the mix'n'match tire formula on your Pantera.

Good luck, Chuck Engles