[DeTomaso] Half shaft questions

asajay at asajay.com asajay at asajay.com
Mon Jul 7 20:00:43 EDT 2008

Just got a call from my local driveline shop.  My half-shafts appear
to have been sleeved in order to adapt an off-the-shelf spicer
u-joint.  They are now asking me what to do.

As I recall, sleeving is not a good idea.  Their other option was to
use a Toyota cap and mill the clips.  Also not a good idea.  A third
option was to build me new half-shafts at about $300 each (ouch!)  So
it looks like my half-shafts are stock (haven't been machined) but
don't have the stock u-joints.  Not surprising really since the car
has over 100K miles (estimated).

What are my -real- options here?  Anybody have a special running on
Pantera specific u-joints?  Should I just bite the bullet and get all
new half-shafts from a vendor?

Idea, options?
Asa Jay