[DeTomaso] Clutch and -2 ZF Pilot Bearing - Late '73 PanteraLModel

Thomas Tornblom Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se
Mon Jul 7 15:08:09 EDT 2008

JDeRyke at aol.com skrev:
> FWIW, I don't like rolling-element pilot bearings in high performance engines
> for the identical reason I don't use high-iron bushings there: bearings scar
> up the transmission input shaft when (not if!) they go dry. The location in
> the back end of a crankshaft is possibly the worst place for a bearing in the
> whole car- its hot, there's abrasive dust is everywhere from clutch wear, no
> possibility of periodic lubrication- all the things a bearing DOESN'T want!
> If you absolutely must use one for some arcane reason, be sure the bearing is
> a truely sealed type; most are simply dust-shielded, not sealed and these are
> the ones that fail first. And some are adapted from alternators! For those
> users, I have developed a possible repair system for torn-up clutch input
> shafts- but you gotta remove it from your ZF first! Good luck all- J Deryke

And how would an oilite bushing possibly be any better when the same
dust enters into it? Abrasive dust has a tendency to stick to soft
material, and then start eating on the harder part (the shaft).

The only BMW I've ever had had aluminum rockers on steel shafts, and the
shafts were very worn, while not much wear could be seen on the rockers.

Besides, the only time there is any bearing action in the pilot bearing
is when you have the clutch depressed, which at least I try to do as
briefly as possible. It is not as an alternator bearing that acts as a
bearing constantly.

Thomas