[DeTomaso] Clutch and -2 ZF Pilot Bearing - Late '73 Pantera L Model

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Jul 7 14:21:43 EDT 2008

First, I'd try calling your Pantera vendors. Because of the larger diameter
of a Ford oilite pilot bushing and the current outrageous cost of copper,
they're not commonly stocked. Of the ones that are, please take a small magnet with
you when shopping. It seems that there are 3 or 4 different 'oilite'
compounds; some are magnetic from the amount of iron-up to 90%- adulterating the
sintered bronze. The magnetic type of 'oilite' will rapidly wear the nose of your
ZF input shaft (and indeed any transmission input shaft!) eventually forcing
expensive repairs. What you need is all-bronze oilite. Your friendly Autozone or
Napa employee will likely not have a clue.
On the PI website, Marlin Jack makes a proper all-bronze oilite bushing that
fits. For qute a few years, I made aluminum adapter rings that accepted the
much smaller diameter Chevy all-bronze pilot bushing that fit the ZF input shaft
nose. Thse pilot bushings are made by Lakewood Industries & sold by most
speed shops. Making the adapter ring is a 10-minute lathe job for any home
machinest. Or, if you have a lathe, the bronze round-stock is sold by several metal
supply houses. Good luck- J DeRyke