[DeTomaso] brake sounds

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Mon Jul 7 11:58:08 EDT 2008

I need some informed opinions on this:

Yesterday I was able to take my '72 out on a track for a couple of laps (great fun), but after the acceleration, braking, acceleration, braking, etc. I notice a loud scraping sound from the wheels.

After the brakes cooled down the sound stopped.

It was the same sound I heard right after my brakes were all re-done a year or so ago and ti turned out to be a metal dust shield rubbing the disc.  Adjusting the shield eliminated the sound.  I have all stainless steel brake lines and new front rotors and brake pads.

Could it be when the brakes get hot the metal shields warps and hit the discs, un-warping as the brakes cool?

Suggestions as to how to eliminate the embarrassing noise would be appreciated!  (Some have said to just remove the dust shields completely; others  disagree).

Sincerely,

Chris