[DeTomaso] Temp Gauge

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Jul 5 14:15:30 EDT 2008

Panteras were delivered from dealers with one of two different 'calibrating'
resistors spliced into the single water temp gauge wire. If yours doesn't have
one, you can easily add one: it was either a 5 ohm 1/2 watt, or later a 10
ohm 1/2 watt. In '73, the factory changed water temp gauges from a 0-220F to a
0-260F instrument, and there are indications this gauge may have a built in
resistor. When I changed our '72 to a 73 gauge, it took no resistor to be
accurate with an Autozone sender. In any case, calibrate whatever gauge you have
before spending any more money on cooling mods; ya gotta know what your starting
point is before fixing things.
Also be very sure the sender is in the engine block, NOT in the surge tank.
Not only does the surge tank location give a falsely low reading, if the system
water level drops more than a quart, the liquid level will be below the
sender location and you'll get the air temp above- about 150F while the engine may
be at 210 or more! The stock sender wire is long enough to accomodate either
location without mods. Good luck- J Deryke