[DeTomaso] Temp Gauge

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Jul 5 07:07:49 EDT 2008

In a message dated 7/5/08 3 43 57, wdemelo at cogeco.ca writes:

> I replaced my leaky water pump and rad and my temp still read high. I
> determined with an IR temp gun that my gauge reads ~210 when it is only 180. Do
> these get calibrated? Can they be repaired. Do the vendors sell a replacement
> that works and looks original?

You could try a number of things; first and cheapest and easiest would be to
change the temp sender.   Order one for a 1972 Mustang with a water temp
GAUGE, not an idiot light.   That sender should be mounted on the front of the
motor, NOT on the water tank (the tank is the stock, dumb location).

You can also wire a resistor in-line between the sender and gauge to knock it
down some should that prove necessary, but I would be very careful to ensure
the accuracy of your readings before 'tricking' the gauge.

Where did you take your temp readings from?   Temps can vary widely between
the motor, water bottle, inlet side of the radiator, and outlet side of the
radiator....