[DeTomaso] Rear a-arm bushings, a bit of a problem

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Jul 3 15:54:15 EDT 2008

In a message dated 7/2/08 9:05:15 PM, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> Of the eight (bushings), I have three that refused to press all the way
> in. Instead, the shoulder used to press against decided to begin mushrooming at
> about an 1/8" from fully seated.  So now instead of the bushing being pressed
> flat to the edge of the a-arm, it's now slightly mushroomed to meet the edge
> of the a-arm.

AJ, obviously you were never a biker; we always had this problem getting
rubber handgrips and footpeg wrappers on the bars. Try moistening the remaining
bushing material with water or WD-40, then repeatedly hitting the
nearly-installed bushings with a hammer. This causes them to walk right in. Vigorous
pounding not necessary, just enough to move the bushings further in. There's a reason
Chevy guys call a hammer a Ford-tool! Good luck- J DeRyke